The safety of our customers and staff is important – please view our Health & Safety notice prior to booking a test drive.
When you are shopping for used cars in Nanaimo, especially for one that’s for your family, it’s a good idea to start with a list of the best family-friendly cars. Once you have an idea of the type of vehicle you’re interested in, narrow down the possibilities with our list of reliable family vehicles:
Best Minivan Models for Large Families
Have a big family and trying to find the most fuel-efficient used family cars for travelling our Vancouver Island and beyond? Look no further than the following minivan models:
- Dodge Grand Caravan
- Toyota Sienna: the only all-wheel-drive minivan in Canada that seats up to 8 passengers.
- Chrysler Town & Country: Replaced by the Pacifica from 2017 onwards, but still a solid choice for a family and budget-conscious minivan.
Best Crossover Models for Families
Flexible, fuel-efficient, and featuring four-wheel drive (for those occasional Nanaimo snowstorms or road trips), when you want a safe and sturdy family vehicle look no further than these crossovers:
- Dodge Durango: With available AWD and 7-8 passenger options.
- Ford Escape: Fuel-efficient EcoBoost and AWD plus stylish interiors.
- Volkswagen Tiguan: A smooth, fuel-efficient option for families offering optional third-row seating.
- Hyundai Santa Fe: A quiet, fun-to-drive family vehicle.
Small to Midsize SUVs for Families
When you need a little more room for your growing family (and their gear), these small to midsize SUVs can handle the challenge:
- Nissan Rogue
- Nissan Rogue: Offers a comfortable ride with user-friendly tech and great cargo space.
- Kia Sorento: All-wheel drive and spacious with a 7-passenger option
- Toyota Rav4: Redesigned for 2019, quiet, comfortable and stylish.
Best Family Cars
If all you need is a safe, reliable family car, these family-friendly vehicles will certainly fit the bill:
- Chevy Cruze: Fully redesigned with touchscreen, Wi-Fi hotspot, and Apple CarPlay/Android Auto functionality.
- Hyundai Elantra: Fuel-efficient, with plenty of features and cargo space for longer trips, sports equipments or shopping.
- Mazda3: Sporty with high-end features and one of the safest used cars on the road.
Tips for Buying a Used Car for the Family
So, you’re ready to by a used vehicle for your family, now what? Here are a few tips to narrow down your options:
- Look at safety ratings, the higher the better
- Consider fuel efficiency – unless you need a specific size/option this will save you plenty over the lifetime of your vehicle
- Check practicality: comfort, space, safety utility and technology
- Consider 3rd row for additional passengers
- Hands-free opening can be a lifesaver for busy families
- Wi-Fi/Smartphone integrations are a top feature and an absolute must when it comes to a busy
Final steps? Schedule a test drive after reviewing our policies due to COVID-19! Take careful note of whether the family car you’re considering can fit everything you need – car seats, strollers, groceries, etc. Make sure all family members will be able to get in and out easily and that any backseat passengers (who may be growing quickly) will have ample legroom for the foreseeable future. Thoroughly check the cargo area and ensure it has enough space. If you think your family and their accessories will fit comfortably, then you’re well on your way to finding your new used car.